Its been a long while since I made my last loaf back in the 90’s when I made all my bread, today I’m going to rectify that!
500g mixed grain flour
1 tbsp each sesame and poppy seeds, plus extra for topping
1 sachet fast-action yeast
1/2 tsp salt
300ml hand-hot water
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp clear honey
- Tip the flour, seeds, yeast and salt into a large bowl. Mix the water, oil and honey in a jug, then pour into the dry mix, stirring all the time to make a soft dough. If it feels sticky, sprinkle in a little more flour.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead or 5 mins, until the dough no longer feels sticky
- Allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Knead again to Knock back large air bubbles out and put into a 800g loaf tin
- Oil a 1.2-litre loaf tin and put the dough in the tin, pressing it in evenly. Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise for 1 hr, until it springs back when you press it with your finger. Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.`
- Make eight slashes across the top of the loaf, brush with water and sprinkle alternately with poppy and sesame seeds. Bake for 30-35 mins until the loaf is risen and brown. Tip it out onto a cooling rack and leave to cool.